Skip to main content

The Riddle of Steel

Two Men Enter, One Man Leaves!
I had my first EMP (Empire of Medieval Pursuits) experience two weekends ago. It is kind of like SCA but with more in your face full contact fighting. There is still the pageantry, they also include rattan in all their fights. At first I was hesitant, but it was a great experience and an excuse to head south for warmer weather. It was great to see it truly was Conan re-enactment and just cool all around. You can find more information at Riddle Of Steel




First stop was to pick up some fellow passengers from a bus stop here in Durham, NC. Fellow Steel Fighter Orlando Mendez and his wonderful girlfriend took a bus down to Durham and ride with me on the way down to Orlando to keep me sane. I picked them up, and took them to breakfast. We had a few hours to kill before heading off and Orlando got to watch Conan the Barbarian for the first time. I think he should lose some nerd points for never having seen the greatness that which is this movie. It is a little over ten hours to drive to get there. Then it was off on a two hour detour to pick up Matt Biondi as another back up driver and fellow adventurer on our quest to learn the 'Riddle of Steel'.


Upon arrival, we were greeted with a great location for the weekend's festivities. Plenty of tents to stow gear, feast, and get out of the sun. The location was very neat and complete with a gladiator fighting pit that ended Saturday's evening festivities. There were options to camp on site, but we opted for staying in a hotel room. I believe next year, I will be staying on site as it provided more opportunities to be festive all around!

First Event - The Caravan




The caravan event is where one team literally drags a wooden wagon weighed down with roughly 250 pounds of stone that represents the treasure that we had to get to the temple. The other team hunts you down and tries to kill the caravan and prevent you from getting the gold to the temple. The first part was pretty easy, as members took turns dragging the wagon through the woods and around, over and through brush.

Then it got crazy. Whoever mapped out the 'trail' needs to be whipped at the post by the king. The second half of the 'trail' was nothing but bogs, heavily wooded areas, and thorny bushes. Our poor team struggled to get that wagon through all of this. Luckily they had some bigger folk on our team which literally picked the wagon up and over fallen logs at waist height. In the end, it was just me hefting that stupid wagon over the logs. I ended up pulling or straining a muscle and was completely wiped.

Needless to say, it was miserable. But we succeeded. However, due to how tough this event was, they cancelled the event and awarded us the the points for the win.


Second Event - Wolf's Run

Instead of running, I re-hydrated with the blood of my enemies

This was the event that took me out of the running for the title of Conan. I didn't participate. Instead, I laid out in the shade, gulped down water, ate pickles, and lathered myself up with biofreeze. It was fun to watch. Basically, one man 'Conan' starts running carrying chains. Then a pack of wolves chase him. Conan has to run to get Crom's sword, then dispatch the three wolves. If the wolves land three blows on Conan, he dies. If Conan lands one blow on each wolf, before taking three blows, he wins.

You get points if you are a wolf or a Conan.

Third Event - Town Raid




Outside of pit fighting, this was my favorite event. Separated into teams, villagers had to defend themselves against a raiding party. The catch, you can only take one strike before dying, and you don't start out with weapons in your hand. The raiders start out with three hit points.

So, we battled it out. We lost a lot as villagers. I believe there was only one case where the villagers prevailed against the raiders. Being able to swap roles and continue to fight made the event a lot of fun. I really wished we got to do more of this.

Fourth Event - Pit Fighting



This was by far my favorite event. Full contact but with the honor system of three blows. I think I performed very well and actually felt comfortable fighting. I won and lost but just being in the pit and fighting someone for the first time is a real thrill. This event makes it a must attend event for me. No, it isn't full steel fighting in a pit to the death, but going full contact with rattan weapons, with striking, kicking, and throws allowed? Sign me up!

This event made it a for sure 'must attend' event every year. Well worth the drive to Orlando!


Post Event Party




The event finished off with our normal type of festivities. Lots of great food, drink, and shenanigans. On Thursday, there was an actual boar hunt with spears and dogs. They were able to harvest 4 boars which provided tons of great food which they cooked and prepared on site. It truly was amazing all the way around. There is nothing that goes better together like fighting and festivities!


See ya' next year!

So that is all for this event. I will be back next year and I have already talked some friends into coming down and joining me for some of this crazy fun. Some are fighters, others from my obstacle course racing and endurance team. I cannot wait! Of course, no event is ever complete without getting our steel fighting selfies with my Steel Sista' Christine!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Battle of Nations 2017 thoughts

getting a picture from one of the ladies who made the Team USA taberds So I finally did it. I trained hard and succeeded in joining my fellow knights on the battlefield of Barcelona for Team USA's 21 man team. I lost seventeen pounds, hit new strength personal records, and I also had plenty of cardio to fight well. It was an honor to join these great men and women on the field to test our mettle against those who would stand against us. We won and lost on our own merits. We stood side by side and faced the challenges together. We broke bread, we made new friends. This is one experience and memories I will keep as a treasure and look fondly upon it as the first of what I hope to be many more campaigns. Below, I wish to dedicate my thoughts and time to communicate some of the lessons learned to travel abroad. I hope to reflect upon this so that I combine the thoughts of those who have shared many of these lessons before my writing this. Flight Mistakes When I purchased

Importance of Conditioning and Recovering for Medieval Combat

So, you are still sticking with this 'medieval fighting' thing? Well, good! But realize that the only easy day was yesterday whippersnapper and it is time to step up your game. You cannot expect to perform better just because you bought armor and you get together a few times a month to hit each other. More importantly, you have to take a careful look at what you suck at and OWN THAT SHIT. We all have things that we are great at. Rarely in the gym do I see guys or gals focusing on weaknesses. It is always focusing on what you are comfortable with. Runners will run, lifters will lift weights, yogi's will yoga, and then you have those weird super-set guys who run around with weighted vests, screaming, and doing high reps of everything in this weird cycle of whatever. One thing that I am sure most people fall short in is in Conditioning and Recovery. Conditioning is basically getting your body physically fit with a regimen of exercises. What does that mean for us? Well,

International Tournament of Chivalry Armored Combat Event in Springfield, IL

parade of fighters The International Tournament of Chivalry II was held in Springfield, IL on October 1st, 2016. I have been working really hard to prepare myself for this upcoming international tournament. Fighters came from Russia, Austria, Mexico, Canada, and all over the US to fight in singles, and 5 on 5 melee matches. I joined the Palmetto Knights and fought for the Rhinos. Hey Ma', I am a Rhino! This was my first experience fighting at this level and it was a true eye opener. Having been a successful heavy weight kickboxer, and martial arts instructor, I am used to fighting and full contact. However, putting on full armor, add weapons, and take away a lot of your awareness due to limited visibility, and all that training and experience doesn't adequately translate. I will say that I am hugely thankful for the armor I chose to wear and made over the given months to fight this weekend. I came away 'fairly' damage free. I have a few pretty bruises, a