Skip to main content

RAWR!!! 2017 let's do this

Got all Viking at Disney's Epcot over Christmas Holiday
Hello fellow steel fighters, nerds, and general bad-asses. I know that it has been a few weeks since you have had a blog post from your favorite bearded warrior. So, it is a new year and time to remedy that. Since my last post, a lot of things have happened. While it means a few changes,  most of it for good, and some bad. But life isn't about sitting around and wasting your days. It is about getting the most of life through experiences and relationships.

So, for 2017, I have set my Steel Fighting Calendar. I am adding events as I hear about them. If you have one not listed, let me know and I will add it. My goal is to travel and fight and much as possible. You can find that calendar at the link below. This calendar includes ACL, HMB, AMCF, and other organizations events.


So, let's get the bad out of the way...

So, let's get the bad out of the way. First, I moved on from the martial arts school I was teaching at. There were just a lot of little things that lead to that decision. Mostly, it was becoming a huge source of frustration and emotional energy already on top of trying to do all the other things I was trying to do. It is a sad chapter. I feel that I have a lot to give, being a highly ranked martial artist in several disciplines and 37 years now in the martial arts, it is something of personal expression that you have to continue on with. It came to a head, when the master of the biggest program at the school came to do a testing and seminar. Seeing the tragedy and mistreatment of students, biased 'bro-fessional' teaching by him, and ultimate lack of depth and skill had me rolling my eyes most of the weekend. His arrogance, his demeanor, led me to openly challenge him to shut him up which he and the other masters brought in for the testing quickly declined.



So, that frustration out of the way, I just knew that building my program just wasn't possible anymore at that school. I let my emotions get the better of me.  Luckily, the school is rebuilding itself and it's identity. I love the guys there and hope for the best for them. There is just too little room to allow my programs and teaching to flourish when you simply don't teach the same stuff even under the same basic roof of 'Kung Fu'. There are literally so many variations and teaching styles that all of our attitudes and egos get in the way. Basically, my own ego wouldn't allow it to continue. I had to do what was best for me.

I should have better control of my temper

So, this meant a change in location for our Armored Combat League team the Durham Dire Drakes. The cool thing is that this group of fighters fully supported me through the process even though it greatly impacted them because we literally had to find a new training facility. Luckily, we found our new home at Bull City Crossfit. They will be expanding their facility in the next year which means even more training space for our crew. The best part is that when we want to armor up, we no longer have to do it outside. This means a lot more full armor training INDOORS! That my friends is a godsend in and of itself.

Always Training.... cardio, lifting, HIIT, yoga


Lastly, my health has worried me. I have had a couple debilitating lifting injuries that have had me sidelined a bit. I have the best PT on the planet with Michelle Christensen who does dry needling and has had me back to fighting shape in no time. I have also battled with recovery times from lifting and running. With all the power lifting I do, eating clean, and running, I have been leaning out, gaining a ton of size (65" shoulders as of yesterday), and gaining a little weight in the process. To keep things in check, I have had an echo cardiogram, a stress echo, and lab work done to make sure that I am doing the right things to remain healthy. I really surprised the staff performing the stress echo. They usually don't take people as fast or at as high of an incline to raise my heart rate up to 180. Everything shown that I have a strong heart and nothing to worry about. My blood work came back with everything normal except cholesterol. I have god-like low cholesterol. Go, me!



Knowing that I have low testosterone, the move to North Carolina has been a true battle to get treatment and replacement therapy. My former NC doctors where treating me like a drug seeker when I have proven blood work, tests, and prescribed medication form my provider in Indiana. Something strange in how they practice medicine here in North Carolina. So after being rejected continuing hormone support, numerous blood tests (I think they were trying to say I was on gear), I finally got a referral to a new doctor. This doctor did the right tests, and then had me go through an MRI. Luckily it came back negative. I don't have a tumor. So now, it is time to look at options and get me back to where I need to be.

Now, onto the good things....

One of my favorite Christmas gifts (to myself) was a ugly sweater from the New York Plague Rats. They have the absolute best shirts and gear for the steel fighting community. The talent up in New York is growing rapidly, and I am a huge fan of what they are putting together. Check out the sweater in the following picture.




The Durham Dire Drakes got to fight with a four man crew and attend a training event in Virginia. It has been a long year of training, building our kits, and learning for our team. We finally were able to travel, fight, and celebrate our year of building this team at this event. I was grateful for this team and their tenacity to put a lot of money, time, and training on the line in order to compete in a fringe sport. I am forever thankful for them!

Dire Drakes

Steel Fighting nerds with alcohol and board games = geek level 10

Disney for Christmas. I have never been to Disney. I had the wonderful adventure the week after Christmas to enjoy the near perfect weather of Orlando, Florida while experience the magic of the Disney parks. I wish I had more time to spend there. I truly wish I was able to go as a kid. I will say that it is now one of my most favorite places on the world. Maybe I can sell a kidney to go again this year.






At Bull City Crossfit, I will also be helping ramp up their strongman program. So literally getting back to my lifting roots and getting back into Strongman Competitions. How do I balance it all out? I just keep training like I have been, and focus on lifting heavy so that I peak during those competitions while keeping me fit for fighting. It does really crossover. the biggest thing I need to do is more training in armor for extended periods of time. Here are some photos of our new training center.









There is a possibility of doing a pro-fight at Dragon Con due to the work by the Palmetto Knights this year. That would be 3 - 3 minute rounds going full at it. Ninety seconds will have you wanting to rip your helmet off because you are exerting so much energy. Luckily I have nine months to train for it and that they find a suitable opponent from Europe to come over and fight me. If not, I will suit up and fight my brothers and sisters in armor.



We traded in the old Ford Expedition and bought and paid for a 2015 Ford Transit. It is a 12 passenger van and I love it. Our four kids just outgrew the old vehicle. Add 'Momma Sue' and we were sandwiched in together whenever we made family trips. So much so that it was hard to have room for everyone and luggage. While I wished we got more for our Expedition, the new vehicle is exactly what we needed. Now traveling and fighting at events will be much more comfortable as well as able to carry more fighters to any event!





So, I end this post with my hope for 2017. This year will be the year of fighting. Knowing that I don't really want to open up a whole new martial arts school and the stress and financial impact it implies; I will travel, fight, and drink! Maybe after focusing on fighting for a while, I may get the gumption to open my own school again.


Until then...

More Armored Selfies Required!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Battle of Nations 2017 thoughts

getting a picture from one of the ladies who made the Team USA taberds So I finally did it. I trained hard and succeeded in joining my fellow knights on the battlefield of Barcelona for Team USA's 21 man team. I lost seventeen pounds, hit new strength personal records, and I also had plenty of cardio to fight well. It was an honor to join these great men and women on the field to test our mettle against those who would stand against us. We won and lost on our own merits. We stood side by side and faced the challenges together. We broke bread, we made new friends. This is one experience and memories I will keep as a treasure and look fondly upon it as the first of what I hope to be many more campaigns. Below, I wish to dedicate my thoughts and time to communicate some of the lessons learned to travel abroad. I hope to reflect upon this so that I combine the thoughts of those who have shared many of these lessons before my writing this. Flight Mistakes When I purchased

Importance of Conditioning and Recovering for Medieval Combat

So, you are still sticking with this 'medieval fighting' thing? Well, good! But realize that the only easy day was yesterday whippersnapper and it is time to step up your game. You cannot expect to perform better just because you bought armor and you get together a few times a month to hit each other. More importantly, you have to take a careful look at what you suck at and OWN THAT SHIT. We all have things that we are great at. Rarely in the gym do I see guys or gals focusing on weaknesses. It is always focusing on what you are comfortable with. Runners will run, lifters will lift weights, yogi's will yoga, and then you have those weird super-set guys who run around with weighted vests, screaming, and doing high reps of everything in this weird cycle of whatever. One thing that I am sure most people fall short in is in Conditioning and Recovery. Conditioning is basically getting your body physically fit with a regimen of exercises. What does that mean for us? Well,

International Tournament of Chivalry Armored Combat Event in Springfield, IL

parade of fighters The International Tournament of Chivalry II was held in Springfield, IL on October 1st, 2016. I have been working really hard to prepare myself for this upcoming international tournament. Fighters came from Russia, Austria, Mexico, Canada, and all over the US to fight in singles, and 5 on 5 melee matches. I joined the Palmetto Knights and fought for the Rhinos. Hey Ma', I am a Rhino! This was my first experience fighting at this level and it was a true eye opener. Having been a successful heavy weight kickboxer, and martial arts instructor, I am used to fighting and full contact. However, putting on full armor, add weapons, and take away a lot of your awareness due to limited visibility, and all that training and experience doesn't adequately translate. I will say that I am hugely thankful for the armor I chose to wear and made over the given months to fight this weekend. I came away 'fairly' damage free. I have a few pretty bruises, a