Skip to main content

Training to be a better Historic Medieval Armored Combat Fighter

Hello from my sexy bearded self....

First of all, I am in no way a model of perfection. Do not look to me for tips on shredding fat, getting ready for summer bodies, or to look pretty for your Instagram photos. I literally do not have the expertise to get you there.

Who am I before you take my advice:

  • 40 years old, 
  • Big, Bearded, Sexy
  • 1995 Heavy Weight Kick Boxing Champion
  • Masters Rank in Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do
  • Multiple other black belts
  • Amateur Strongman
  • Amateur Power Lifter
  • Spartan Death Racer
  • GoRuck Junky
  • Endurance Sports Nut Job
  • Ultra-marathon Runner (completed the Huff 50k, and Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake 50k)
  • Spartan Racer and Trifecta Holder

So be prepared, I am speaking from my personal experience as to what I am doing to make sure that I am perfectly healthy and capable of doing the crazy stuff I do. In particular, training for and preparing to fight on an International level in Steel Combat (ACL /,HMBUSA/ AMCF). This type of sport is exciting. It touches many areas of my background and experience and challenges me to get better in every single one.



Rule #1 Cardio

Cardiovascular endurance is the ability of the heart, lungs and blood vessels to deliver oxygen to your body tissues. The more efficiently your body delivers oxygen to its tissues, the lower your breathing rate is and the ability of the muscles to use oxygen to produce energy for movement. Everyone has some ability, but you may not have the ability necessary to compete at the level you want. 


Steady State Cardio and HIIT
Both Steady State Cardio and High Intensity Interval Training have their place. Steady state cardio (aerobic) like your normal everyday run of 30 to 60 minutes at basically the same pace. HIIT training is anaerobic and doesn't rely on oxygen exclusively by instead using a higher portion of carbohydrates. 
Both types of exercise will have the positive effects of blood pressure drops, metabolism improves, and VO2 max (a measure of the maximum amount of oxygen your body can process) goes up.


When I was training to run an ultra-marathon, I would mix my runs up with long steady runs and then do intervals such as sprints or fartleks. When I trained for the death race, I did long rucks with 60 pounds on my back at a brisk pace, followed by hill sprints, woodchopping, speed work, etc. 

For armored combat training, HIIT is primary but it doesn't replace my steady state. HIIT will help me be more capable of keeping up with the intensity of the fight and deal with strain and fatigue. However the steady state ups the performance level and length at which I can fight. So running, biking, rowing, are great exercises to do on a normal basis. So, the best bet is to add both to your programming.

If you are looking for a good HIIT program that is based upon Steel Combat moves, Igor Omelianchuk made a post about conditioning he used on his blog http://medieval-warrior.blogspot.com/


#Rule 2 - Pump it Up!

Lifting weights is probably just as important as cardio. Weight lifting provides the benefits of increase strength, muscle mass, explosiveness, weight loss, and overall performance. No, weightlifting will not get you so big that you look like a balloon animal. It will however tone, shape, and give you overall performance gains in any activity you try.

A definition of a good program for our sport will incorporate the following:

1. Leg drive/ ground force 

Because what we do requires so much transference of force through our legs, employing lifting exercises that strengthen the legs, and encourages improvement of force applied to the ground during your movement.

2. Multiple Joint Movements

For sports specific programming, we want to look at multiple joint movements to encourage the body to work together mechanically as a whole. While bodybuilding is more focused on isolating a muscle group or joint movement, we want to look at compound movements that strengthens all the muscles (major and accessory muscle groups).

3, Explosiveness

Explosiveness, is the engagement of more muscle fibers controlled by the motor nerve. Programming to encourage explosive movements such as lighter weights with speed or plylometrics will encourage muscle fiber engagement and explosive movement of each exercise. Most of your Olympic lifts are designed to generate explosive power.

4. Overloading yourself

You don't get stronger unless you lift heavier and heavier weight. Your programming must include overload and over tax your muscles to encourage muscle growth and strength. You cannot just go in week after week lifting the same amount weights with the same rep scheme and expect to get stronger. Your muscles are not being challenged to grow and will grow accustomed to the strain you are putting them under.

5. Periodization

You have to rest. You cannot do this day in and day out for 12 months. You must take one to two weeks off periodically to allow your body to recover. Staying aware of your sport's season, your programming should grow heavy in your off season and and allow for more rest and recovery during the time you compete.

6. Split Routines

Split routines allow you to focus on muscle groups in a fashion that uses a list of exercises targeted to the muscle groups you are training. It is a good idea to do this instead of trying to hit every single muscle group in your body each and every workout. The best reason for this is due to recovery of certain muscle groups while others are being worked. Essentially, while one muscle group is being shredded in your workout, the other muscle is building the gains during rest. You simply rinse and repeat.

That's great Jeff, but what would you recommend as programming? I have support and coached literally hundreds using the Stronglifts 5x5 method. The reason is simply it combines all the essential ingredients you need to be strong using complex muscle group movements/lifts to accomplish your goals. When I started, I couldn't even squat 135 pounds. I had to work my way up over time to my all time PR of 610. You don't have to take it as extreme as I did, but if you want to get stronger, put on more size, and slim down in the process, you will be hard pressed to find a better beginner program. Plus there is a free app for Android or iPhone that you can download that shows you how to do the program AND TRACKS YOUR PROGRESS!


Rule #3 Learn to Fight

You can have all the cardio and strength in the world, if you don't understand basic striking, blocking, and distances, you are going to struggle. Luckily most combat teams train regularly. You can quickly pick up better techniques and how to be a better fighter by LISTENING and WATCHING other more experienced fighters.

Listen, this is really important. I have kicked ass all over the world. I have more martial arts ranks than your favorite movie action star. Fighting in armor, with swords, shields, with other weapons is an art form in and of itself. While I believe I am learning and shoring up my weaknesses quickly, I didn't enter the list beating everyone in sight.  Matter of fact, I was knocked on my ass with a solid punch to the chest! The guy who did it has been fighting in harness for many, many years.

The only way to get better at fighting is by fighting. I mean that. I have many students who like martial arts. They like learning the forms, or like the fitness benefits of it. However, when it comes to contact, they really don't like it. I don't care how many forms you know, or all the 'secret sauce' behind all the techniques, or the deepest hidden mystic knowledge of the ancients. If you don't practice fighting, being aggressive, finding the opening and taking advantage of it, you will not be able to be successful.


Rule #4 Make it Work For You

So, all this knowledge I just dropped on you is good, but you have to make it work for you. You are the ultimate driver for your success. It is one thing to know WHAT to do, but if you are not out there doing SOMETHING, you are not going to get the progress you want. Create a program that works for you, that you can build upon and make more intense as you become more able to step it up.

If you are looking to have a beginner program to start with, I would recommend something along with the following:

Monday - AM Run / PM Lift
Tues - HIIT/Sprints
Wednesday - AM Run/PM Lift
Thurs-Strike Drills/Pell Work/HIIT
Friday PM Lift
Saturday Off or as I call it "Beer Day"
Sunday - Competition based training (grappling, soft kit fighting, striking, full kit practice)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Battle of Nations 2017 thoughts

getting a picture from one of the ladies who made the Team USA taberds So I finally did it. I trained hard and succeeded in joining my fellow knights on the battlefield of Barcelona for Team USA's 21 man team. I lost seventeen pounds, hit new strength personal records, and I also had plenty of cardio to fight well. It was an honor to join these great men and women on the field to test our mettle against those who would stand against us. We won and lost on our own merits. We stood side by side and faced the challenges together. We broke bread, we made new friends. This is one experience and memories I will keep as a treasure and look fondly upon it as the first of what I hope to be many more campaigns. Below, I wish to dedicate my thoughts and time to communicate some of the lessons learned to travel abroad. I hope to reflect upon this so that I combine the thoughts of those who have shared many of these lessons before my writing this. Flight Mistakes When I purchased

Importance of Conditioning and Recovering for Medieval Combat

So, you are still sticking with this 'medieval fighting' thing? Well, good! But realize that the only easy day was yesterday whippersnapper and it is time to step up your game. You cannot expect to perform better just because you bought armor and you get together a few times a month to hit each other. More importantly, you have to take a careful look at what you suck at and OWN THAT SHIT. We all have things that we are great at. Rarely in the gym do I see guys or gals focusing on weaknesses. It is always focusing on what you are comfortable with. Runners will run, lifters will lift weights, yogi's will yoga, and then you have those weird super-set guys who run around with weighted vests, screaming, and doing high reps of everything in this weird cycle of whatever. One thing that I am sure most people fall short in is in Conditioning and Recovery. Conditioning is basically getting your body physically fit with a regimen of exercises. What does that mean for us? Well,

International Tournament of Chivalry Armored Combat Event in Springfield, IL

parade of fighters The International Tournament of Chivalry II was held in Springfield, IL on October 1st, 2016. I have been working really hard to prepare myself for this upcoming international tournament. Fighters came from Russia, Austria, Mexico, Canada, and all over the US to fight in singles, and 5 on 5 melee matches. I joined the Palmetto Knights and fought for the Rhinos. Hey Ma', I am a Rhino! This was my first experience fighting at this level and it was a true eye opener. Having been a successful heavy weight kickboxer, and martial arts instructor, I am used to fighting and full contact. However, putting on full armor, add weapons, and take away a lot of your awareness due to limited visibility, and all that training and experience doesn't adequately translate. I will say that I am hugely thankful for the armor I chose to wear and made over the given months to fight this weekend. I came away 'fairly' damage free. I have a few pretty bruises, a