Skip to main content

Brew Talk: Mead (Melomel)





It has been a while since I have home brewed. After moving to North Carolina, time just got away from me. Then I bought a keggerator and my life was filled with great  kegs of beer I could easily buy without having to waste a half day making my brew.

Then a GoRuck Tough buddy donated his entire homebrew supplies to me on top of my mountain of gear I had to make all grain. I couldn't turn it down, and I sure wasn't about to just let it go to waste. So, after a major garage renovation, I had room to store my gear and I finally decided to dust off my old recipes and make something new.

This batch will be an experiment as I am changing my tried and true recipe to something a little lighter and should have a simpler finish. Most of my melomels have a silky finish and very high alcohol volume. This should be around the right alcohol volume and hopefully has the lighter, fresher finish.

I have made many different versions of mead. My preference of course is always to the sweater end. My first batch came from a simple 1 gallon fermenter, honey, raisens, and a standard beer yeast. It was good, but not what I liked.

My secret is to melomel is letting it ferment for a longer time, then re-rack the memomel usually twice. Then finish with stopping the fermentation and bottle it. I like the more expensive bottles with swivel caps because they look better and provide a way for excess CO2 to escape when the pressure is too great while still keeping closed. I have had a case or two of beer explode on me and boy was that a mess.

Once bottled, I have a hard time waiting to drink it. I do just like it it fresh. However, if patience wins out, I can let it sit for several months and I am granted with a delightful refreshment.

So, if you haven't had a chance to brew something on your own, it isn't as hard as you think. Just get out there and try a few recipes. Even failures can be pretty good!

Till next time, see you in the list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Battle of Nations 2017 thoughts

getting a picture from one of the ladies who made the Team USA taberds So I finally did it. I trained hard and succeeded in joining my fellow knights on the battlefield of Barcelona for Team USA's 21 man team. I lost seventeen pounds, hit new strength personal records, and I also had plenty of cardio to fight well. It was an honor to join these great men and women on the field to test our mettle against those who would stand against us. We won and lost on our own merits. We stood side by side and faced the challenges together. We broke bread, we made new friends. This is one experience and memories I will keep as a treasure and look fondly upon it as the first of what I hope to be many more campaigns. Below, I wish to dedicate my thoughts and time to communicate some of the lessons learned to travel abroad. I hope to reflect upon this so that I combine the thoughts of those who have shared many of these lessons before my writing this. Flight Mistakes When I purchased

Importance of Conditioning and Recovering for Medieval Combat

So, you are still sticking with this 'medieval fighting' thing? Well, good! But realize that the only easy day was yesterday whippersnapper and it is time to step up your game. You cannot expect to perform better just because you bought armor and you get together a few times a month to hit each other. More importantly, you have to take a careful look at what you suck at and OWN THAT SHIT. We all have things that we are great at. Rarely in the gym do I see guys or gals focusing on weaknesses. It is always focusing on what you are comfortable with. Runners will run, lifters will lift weights, yogi's will yoga, and then you have those weird super-set guys who run around with weighted vests, screaming, and doing high reps of everything in this weird cycle of whatever. One thing that I am sure most people fall short in is in Conditioning and Recovery. Conditioning is basically getting your body physically fit with a regimen of exercises. What does that mean for us? Well,