Skip to main content

Training for Battle of the Nations




I am one of those guys who does well when he had a big, gnarly, audacious goal to train for. This training cycle everything has been focused on preparing for Battle of Nations in Barcelona, Spain. Countries from around the world will be sending their best team to armor up and do battle at La Monumental which looks like the Colosseum from the movie Gladiator.  For me, I am fighting on the 'Royal Team' or better known as the 21 versus 21. I take pride that I am representing Team USA abroad, and I am doing everything I can to make sure I am bring my very best for myself and my team.


My coach Steve Slama and 10th Legion Fitness has updated my programming to some crazy hybrid workouts. He is creating me into a physical monster so I can deliver crazy hurt bombs upon my opponents, have agility and mobility, and the stamina to keep standing when your lungs scream for reprieve. With his programming, I have hit all new personal bests in bench and deadlift while my squats are about the same as my personal bests have been. The difference, this time I am doing it smarter and have no pain. Squatting 610, Deadlifting 600 for 3, and 405 bench is super exciting for me. I am crazy strong for what I need in this sport. If you are looking for some online programming from my coach, he is offering a special deal at $45 bucks a month. If you need nutrition programming, it is a little extra. Just message me or email me and I will hook you up.  


My typical workouts include some crazy crossfit wod for a warm up such as Cindy (3 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 airsquats). Then it is on to pure strength in a hybrid Westside Barbell and pushing either one rep max in a specific time limit, then followed by 3-5 rounds of sub-maximal lifts of my one rep max lift, as well as specific exercise targeting, the same muscles, followed by high intensity cardio such as rowing, elliptical, or running. My current schedule is Tues thru Saturday doing different workouts. Sunday is armored combat practice day, and Monday's become my day off. I will say that if I push myself too hard one day and I am sore the next, I don't risk injury this close to competition and I take the extra rest day. If I see a potential problem, I reach out to my PT for an adjustment and dry needling. I have also included weekly massages (hey, it's for performance gains, OK?)



In essence, warm up, power lift, then what I describe as transference of the max lift to actual work potential I will use in the sport. I had this idea posed to me by a different personal trainer years ago when I was ultra running. Basically taking a big complex lift such as a dead-lift or squat and then get on the treadmill right after. So taxing your legs in one dynamic and then forcing them to do it in another way so that you essentially are not just working strength, but how that strength translates to the movements you will be doing in your sport. 

The second piece is changing my diet up. There is no mistake about it, I am not going to be the tallest guy on the field, but I will be the biggest. I have spent the last four years in power lifting and strongman training and put on some serious size in order to get strong and compete. I have gotten really big and exactly the size and strength I was aiming for. I still am leaning out which is my major goal of this diet. I want to lean out and lose as much bodyfat as I can between now and BOTN so that I am more efficient in my movements and less taxing on my body to perform on the field. I am down almost twelve pounds but fluctuate depending on how bad I tear muscle up when I am lifting heavy. The solution is drinking lots of water, anti inflammatory meds, and rest when needed. 

So, in one month, I am heading to Spain. Fighting for Team USA and cannot wait to share more of these experiences with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Battle of Nations 2017 thoughts

getting a picture from one of the ladies who made the Team USA taberds So I finally did it. I trained hard and succeeded in joining my fellow knights on the battlefield of Barcelona for Team USA's 21 man team. I lost seventeen pounds, hit new strength personal records, and I also had plenty of cardio to fight well. It was an honor to join these great men and women on the field to test our mettle against those who would stand against us. We won and lost on our own merits. We stood side by side and faced the challenges together. We broke bread, we made new friends. This is one experience and memories I will keep as a treasure and look fondly upon it as the first of what I hope to be many more campaigns. Below, I wish to dedicate my thoughts and time to communicate some of the lessons learned to travel abroad. I hope to reflect upon this so that I combine the thoughts of those who have shared many of these lessons before my writing this. Flight Mistakes When I purchased

Importance of Conditioning and Recovering for Medieval Combat

So, you are still sticking with this 'medieval fighting' thing? Well, good! But realize that the only easy day was yesterday whippersnapper and it is time to step up your game. You cannot expect to perform better just because you bought armor and you get together a few times a month to hit each other. More importantly, you have to take a careful look at what you suck at and OWN THAT SHIT. We all have things that we are great at. Rarely in the gym do I see guys or gals focusing on weaknesses. It is always focusing on what you are comfortable with. Runners will run, lifters will lift weights, yogi's will yoga, and then you have those weird super-set guys who run around with weighted vests, screaming, and doing high reps of everything in this weird cycle of whatever. One thing that I am sure most people fall short in is in Conditioning and Recovery. Conditioning is basically getting your body physically fit with a regimen of exercises. What does that mean for us? Well,

International Tournament of Chivalry Armored Combat Event in Springfield, IL

parade of fighters The International Tournament of Chivalry II was held in Springfield, IL on October 1st, 2016. I have been working really hard to prepare myself for this upcoming international tournament. Fighters came from Russia, Austria, Mexico, Canada, and all over the US to fight in singles, and 5 on 5 melee matches. I joined the Palmetto Knights and fought for the Rhinos. Hey Ma', I am a Rhino! This was my first experience fighting at this level and it was a true eye opener. Having been a successful heavy weight kickboxer, and martial arts instructor, I am used to fighting and full contact. However, putting on full armor, add weapons, and take away a lot of your awareness due to limited visibility, and all that training and experience doesn't adequately translate. I will say that I am hugely thankful for the armor I chose to wear and made over the given months to fight this weekend. I came away 'fairly' damage free. I have a few pretty bruises, a