Skip to main content

Dragon Con and I survived!

HSC Palmetto Knights at Dragon Con

I finally got a chance to fight! After months of preparation, tons of money spent on armor, weapons, and training; I got a chance to actually put it all together. Just two weeks prior, I had got the final pieces of my armor assembled and ready to go.



I fought six matches at the HSC Tournament at Dragon Con. Hosted by the Armory and the Palmetto Knights, fighters from all over came in to not only fight in a tournament, but put on a show for a huge crowd at the convention. For several of us, this was the first fight or tournament we have ever experienced. 

I have fought my whole life. This is the closest experience to getting me amped up on adrenalin like I experienced with full contact kickboxing in the nineties. My heart was in my throat most of the time which made breathing even more difficult. Imagine trying to breathe your head being  in a caged weighing seventeen pounds.

It was a well run event,  and a ton of fun.  I cannot wait until next year and I will be bringing more fighters with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Great Christmas Gift Ideas for the steel fighter in your life

Merry Christmas and Happy Armored New Year pic from  www.skotcher.com So, you have one of those crazy people in your life who like to play with swords and whack each other about in tin cans. Sure, we all know they are crazy. However, putting them in straight jackets and sending them off to some asylum may seem excessive. So, instead of giving in to your inner urges and screaming at them, here are a few ideas for shopping for your modern medieval warrior. One other point of clarification. I make no money suggesting these items. I am doing it so I can continue to hit others as much as possible. Is that too much to ask? 1. Forged Foam HMB starter set ($140). No matter what league you fight in, having a soft-kit training set is essential to practice fighting in a safe way. Nobody likes to fight alone, so here is a starter set for you and your favorite punching dummy! 2. Protect your noggin! Head protection is a must. I have been looking to change away from my normal dipped ...

International Tournament of Chivalry Armored Combat Event in Springfield, IL

parade of fighters The International Tournament of Chivalry II was held in Springfield, IL on October 1st, 2016. I have been working really hard to prepare myself for this upcoming international tournament. Fighters came from Russia, Austria, Mexico, Canada, and all over the US to fight in singles, and 5 on 5 melee matches. I joined the Palmetto Knights and fought for the Rhinos. Hey Ma', I am a Rhino! This was my first experience fighting at this level and it was a true eye opener. Having been a successful heavy weight kickboxer, and martial arts instructor, I am used to fighting and full contact. However, putting on full armor, add weapons, and take away a lot of your awareness due to limited visibility, and all that training and experience doesn't adequately translate. I will say that I am hugely thankful for the armor I chose to wear and made over the given months to fight this weekend. I came away 'fairly' damage free. I have a few pretty bruises, a...

Training to be a better Historic Medieval Armored Combat Fighter

Hello from my sexy bearded self.... First of all, I am in no way a model of perfection. Do not look to me for tips on shredding fat, getting ready for summer bodies, or to look pretty for your Instagram photos. I literally do not have the expertise to get you there. Who am I before you take my advice: 40 years old,  Big, Bearded, Sexy 1995 Heavy Weight Kick Boxing Champion Masters Rank in Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do Multiple other black belts Amateur Strongman Amateur Power Lifter Spartan Death Racer GoRuck Junky Endurance Sports Nut Job Ultra-marathon Runner (completed the Huff 50k, and Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake 50k) Spartan Racer and Trifecta Holder So be prepared, I am speaking from my personal experience as to what I am doing to make sure that I am perfectly healthy and capable of doing the crazy stuff I do. In particular, training for and preparing to fight on an International level in Steel Combat ( ACL  /, HMBUSA/   AMCF ). This type of sport...